Monday, June 28, 2021

Mother in Literature

The societal image of motherhood is sure determined by the customs, traditions, religious texts, almost always coloured by patriarchy. More about it some other time.

Right now I am going to talk of two novels [and later, a sa(i)nt]  that shaped my understanding of motherhood. Yes, thereafter, I have read many a texts critiqueing motherhood, Austen to Zola. These two, however, are still close to my heart, however much one may critically dissect them. 

The two texts are "Shyam chi Aai" in Marathi and "Mother" in translation. The first one is by Sane Guruji, and the other one is by Maxim Gorky. True, in a way, both are didactic. The first one I read when I was about ten, and the second one, a Russian novel in English translation, I read in my mid-teens. 

I had then started learning French, and would have to go to Ranade Institute. On the footpath just next to Ranade used to be this sale of Russian books in translation, and of the entire Marx and Lenin oeuvre. So many I bought from there, later also on my way to the British Library, as they used to cost almost zilch, an amount rather suited to a young reader's pocket money. Of course, though, Papa would pitch in most generously if I were to ever want any books, especially these with rather good printing and production values.  

"Shyam chi Aai" showcased parents almost like mine, a couple that cared for the growth of their children's psyche, too. It was a very edifying book. It was soul-stirring at that age though. As I grew up, I sure realised how such innocence is perceived by the smart alecky world. Yet I loved it then and now yet again it proves to me the simple sagacity and genuineness of my parents' clean ways.

Gorky's "Mother" (I tried orally `interpreting' it for Aai circa 2010)  is a much loved novel, too. It shows how the roles reverse, and how a child, too, can mother his own parent's growing radical consciousness. Till date, I love it though I do know its lacunae.

I cannot complete this discussion without a reference to Sant Dyaneshwar, always referred to as "mauli", the ultimate in motherliness. As great as his philosophy, his radical act of making knowledge accessible to all, and in-n-through the local language which he literally sculpted intellectually and poetically, his supreme calibre as a poet, is his kind, gentle motherliness that provided a succour to an entire way, nay, a tradition of 'bhakti' based thinking.

Just an observation before I wind up. The protagonists of both the novels were young. As for Sant Dnyaneshwar, he was in his very early twenties when he fulfilled his mammoth contribution. Yet all these writings show us the glory called motherhood in all its pure refinement and grandeur. No wonder, they continue to inspire beyond years!

pratima@ as God could not be everywhere, He made parents!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evermore Mother's Day

 Remember that day long long ago? You were a tiny tot, hardly three. She was taking you to school. All along, she kept on cajoling you with ...