Sunday, June 4, 2023

Bicycle-nama!

 Remember how you learnt riding the bicycle (the real one, not the stationary exercise treadmill one, please!)? I do, and distinctly.  The initial zigzagging of the bicycle, with the handle ready to shift in to the reverse gear any second, the big bang beating heart managing to remain stable, given the absolutely firm  assurance that Papa would be there, holding both me and the bicycle, and then one day realising that i am riding the bicycle absolutely like a pro, with Papa receding in the distance, smilingly admiring the fledgling skill of his hardly eight year old daughter.

Quite a metaphor in a way of/for our upbringing! Quietly he (and, Aai, accompanying him, of course) gave momentum to our dreams, allowed us to be ourselves, with him always there, supporting us, having our back, so to say! Such was his solid sincere support that one could never ever even dream of breaking his absolute unwavering faith in oneself.

I have lovely memories of bicycle rides, Papa reaching us both, me and Raju, to Swargate Bus Stop so that we could catch Bus No. 4 on time, Papa taking us to Kulkarni Kaka's house via the Canal Road. Those days, Pune canals actually used to have water, and clean at that. I clearly remember the blue skies or the evening stars reflected in that lucid water. Nor have I forgotten the morbid fear of that water body that almost seemed to touch the cycle tyres, as i could not swim then. 

Those days, one could hire a cycle. I have not forgotten hiring it for a mere fifty paise per hour, and zooming around the narrow lanes, or mostly going to fetch Sanju from his LKG (to primary) school. Like a Great Grand Lord, he used to ride pillion, and give me directions from behind, "look at that bus, it is getting too near us" types!

Like a typical Puneri, I rode the bike to college. Even for my PG, i used to ride the bicycle half way, park it at Mama's place, walk across the Lakdi Pul, and catch the Univ bus. Never even once was i late, not even by a fraction of a second. While returning home, if Ajji were at Pune, it was a pleasure talking to her for a few minutes, before rushing home as Aai would be waiting at home.

Rarely did i meet any accidents despite so much bicycling. Just once though, a huge ram, let loose by its stupid master to wander the roads, crashed into my bicycle for no fault of mine. I had badly bruised my knees, elbows and forehead. Symbolic of the ways of the world! 

"Bicycle" in my opinion is a very family vehicle. It has a cute aura of childhood innocence that continues in to teenage (at least those days, it used to!). No wonder, de Sica's "The Bicycle Thief" is a film i absolutely adore, in fact, love! 

Well, the bicycle epic can carry on and on, without a punctured (i tried to learn how to mend it, at least understand the process, just as i tried to clean the plug once i got my "chal meri dhanno" luna) memory, but better to 'break' it soon, and on time, as rough roads rub smooth tyres real harsh!

Pratima@ Cycling is some proof that life is a resilient ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Voting Woes

 I expected May 13 to be a happy day as it was the eagerly awaited voting day. Yes, till today, I have never ever missed a single voting exe...