Saturday, November 25, 2023

Priorities! Choices!

 Have you met people for whom their pets are as good as human beings, who treat the pets almost like the baby of the family? Well, often I have, because now and then I do look in to the mirror. After all, I am Pratima! My very name means image.

There would be any number of people for whom pets/animals do not matter at all. Pets/animals for them are not even secondary citizens of the planet. As for the natural cycle/chain of life, they have forgotten the concept long time back, that is, after they finished off with their tenth,i suppose. 

Between these two types, who is right? I would say, both! Each to his/her choice, his/her priorities in life. None is either right/wrong, is my opinion. Why be judgemental so long as there is not any excess that may threaten, right? 

Let me think of another example. There are students for whom studies do not matter much. Their goals in life are different. May be, money matters the most for them, prestige pays, status suits. So the University of Life is what they believe in!

On the contrary, there are some students, not very many, may be, for whom knowledge, finally one day surely leading to wisdom, matters much more. They do not disbelieve the lessons life teaches, but the more organised way of learning, that is, systematic studies appeal more to them. 

Who is right? Who is wrong? I would say, each to his own! Why be judgemental? Why call someone the bookworm just because you hate the very look of a book? Such a person may not know the heady fragrance of a brand new book, as intoxicating as the fragrance  the earth exudes after the first summer shower!

Why be judgemental? Why comment on others' choices? Why snigger at an-other way of life? Why not each to his/her own? Does that mean I believe totally in relativism? No, not really! Yes, there are certain universal ethical values. So long these are not vitiated, all is well, is what I think.

Let me conclude with yet another concrete example.  So long as I believe that patriarchy accords men many advantages, yet it binds them in multiple ways as well, my feminism is humane. In fact, it would never allow me to compete with men, repeat the mistake traditionally associated with 'man'-kind! 

May be, hence I would never be rabid in my castigations against men. Neither would I be aggressive in the caste debate. Every issue/debate has present permutations, is inextricably rooted in the past combinations, but should have a vision for healthy, balanced futuristic paradigms, right?Why trivialise issues by-n-through excessive and exclusionary simplifications that may get nothing beyond a few claps with their own agendas!?!

Pratima@ Each to his/her own blessings and blemishes so long as ethically fraternities, freedoms, faiths bloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evermore Mother's Day

 Remember that day long long ago? You were a tiny tot, hardly three. She was taking you to school. All along, she kept on cajoling you with ...