Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Online harassment

 With advanced technology emerge sophisticated tools of harassment, be it cyber bullying, be it stalking, be it photo morphing, be it trolling, be it some vicious, dangerous and victimising games, and so on, and so on. Well, all these forms of harassment are individual directed which is terrible and sadistic.

Let me tell you that on the internet exist modes of disturbing an entire meet as well. It is known as "zoombombing", it seems. An online seminar session that I attended this evening introduced me to this 'dis-ease'. Well, the seminar was international, and was organised by a well known university. Sentence One onwards, there were huge echoes. As per the organisers' instructions, i checked my laptop settings. 

All was, as it had to be, perfect, ideal, normal. Suddenly I started getting ridiculous, funny, crazy messages from some AB! It seems the zoom meeting was hacked, and finally the entire  meeting itself had to be removed. I googled the concept, and it seems the zoom platform is opener to such attacks, and it has been a regular feature ever since the Covid days.

Well, it was my gut reaction, and the Google info/search confirmed it: there *has to* be some inside connect who must have inadvertently, or knowingly, leaked the meet id, right? Well, yet again both the zoombombing and my suspicion that it has to be an insider job prove my eternal argument that science and technology are innocent. Human beings make them tools of torture!

Pratima@ Like the genie in Alladin's lamp, technology and science can either be a curse or a boon. Depends on who controls it with what intent!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ray shine(s)

 May is the month when/in which great people are born. You do not believe me, right? Well, just check the details about dates, okay? Especia...