Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Ideal Idol

 During the Navaratri and the Diwali, I get lovely pics of the reigning deity of Maharashtra, Vithoba. In fact, to me get sent the unique snaps of all the idols in the Pandharpur temple premises. Well, it is a courtesy shared by the city school where we have instituted a prize in Aai's name.

In fact, every time, there is any special occasion, the Ganesh Festival to the Independence Day, the idols and the premises are uniquely decorated, and lovely are the pics. Most gorgeous, however, are the Dasara-Diwali pics as they reveal the Lord in the best of all His finery. Unbelievable are the jewels and the clothes with which the idols are decked up. Rakhumai wears the richest jewellery possible, and her uniquely crafted 'asana' is decorated fabulously as well. Lord Venkatesha, Vithoba's elder brother, often wears the nine "avatar" kind of regalia.

Fabulous and lovely are these images which I share with my brothers, and most dutifully forward them to Aai's relatives, her brothers, her sisters-in-law, her cousin. So dazzling are these images that seen together as tableaux @ the WhatsApp images, it would be difficult to take one's eyes off them.

True, these images ARE quite a vision. Yet I love the usual, simple Vithoba images that are sent to me every morning. The daily sight of Vithoba with the 'tulsi' garlands is my ideal idol. He is the Vithoba I have met and loved in the great "abhanga"s by Sant Dnyaneshwar, Sant Eknath, Sant Tukaram, and the others. This is the Vithoba I have felt when I walk a wee bit with the "wari" devotees as they go on the pilgrimage from Alandi-Dehu so as to reach Pandharpur on the Ashadhi Ekadashi day.

To me, this ideal idol signifies the  Pandharpur principle, so to say. He appears to be the god who meets the downtrodden in very many forms to offer them solace, to give them courage during difficult days. As it is, the Bhakti cult does admit that the "sagun murti", the idol, is the easy way for the common man to reach the "nirgun" principle which I find in the simple idol that I see in the daily snaps.  Well, each to her/his own, Pandurang all hearts has won!

Pratima@ The idol, in whichever form, the usual, simple statue or the special, rich image, is the royal route to the oneness a true devotee would share with the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Evermore Mother's Day

 Remember that day long long ago? You were a tiny tot, hardly three. She was taking you to school. All along, she kept on cajoling you with ...