Books are now noteworthy due to their absence. Yes, reading has taken an absolute back seat. The basic attention span required for reading is now a thing of the past. In our A.I.-enabled, or is it absolutely alien-ated, era, who wants to read? That does hurt a bibliophile.
Well, you love research. Seminar after conference, dedicated, mind you, to the publication process, has "experts" advising you to use the ChatGPT for " literature review"! In other words, the A.I. reads, the A.I. summarises, and the future 're-searcher' is reduced to a kid who waits 'two minutes' for the A.I.-d!
Actually reading helps in very many ways. Yet when the allure of the colourful screen beckons, back seat get the plain pages, right? Hence the need for book exhibitions which, too, these days are seen scenery. In other words, an event they, too, are.
Without fail, there would be a selfie point or two, and cosy kiosks for a cuppa. That is okay, though. At least, youngsters, who would otherwise never venture near a library or avoid a bookshop as if it is the Corona ward, actually see the colours, the shapes and the sizes of books, even if most would be of the DIY or "how to" variety! Even then unmistakably flutters, like the pages of unread books, the hope that books would survive, despite the A.I. (r)evolution! Long live book exhibitions!
Pratima@ Recently I read a news item that many European countries have chosen to reduce the screen time of school children. Books, notebooks, abacus, slates are back, it seems. No mean achievement for sure. How long the 'fad' would last, I am not sure!
Quote of the day: "Books are uniquely portable magic," says Stephen King.
Word of the day: bibliophile A bibliophile is a person who loves, admires, or collects books.
No comments:
Post a Comment