Friday, October 9, 2026

Celebrating Marathi

 Marathi is my mother tongue. As a child does her parents, so do I adore my mother tongue. Oh, yes, my articles, stories, translations in Marathi gave been published in highly respected magazines. No hard feelings whatsoever, in brief. 

And yet, may be, because l love it a lot, may I put forth a few points that I think need deliberations? First and foremost, despite my adulation for m'y mother tongue, I am honest enough to admit that Marathi is not exactly a language of science and/or technology, nay, of knowledge! 

Honestly, a language is sure admired due to its historicity, due to the multiplicity of its dialects, due to its ethnic spread, et al. Yet a language is considered lingua franca because of its dominion across different disciplines. 

Look at English, for instance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrating Marathi

 Marathi is my mother tongue. As a child does her parents, so do I adore my mother tongue. Oh, yes, my articles, stories, translations in Ma...